Tim Leech –Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL) (Chair)
Becky Coffin –HAL
Timothy Wells –HAL
Simi Kullar – HAL
Sarah Jane Pickthorne – HAL
James Holmes – HAL
Anthony Smith – HATF Chair
Dr Roger Green – Local Community Forum (LCF) Chair
Mark Frost – HATF Independent Technical Advisor
Laura Keith – CISHA Communications, Strategy and Engagement Manager
Cllr Wendy Matthews – Buckinghamshire CC (Iver)
Cllr Matt Furniss – Surrey CC
Sara Fisher – British Parking Association (BPA) Head of Operations
Cllr Puja Bedi – Slough (Colnbrook & Poyle)
Cllr Eddie Lavery – Hillingdon
Darren Crowson – Transport for London (TfL)
Mike Smooker – Aviation Police
Steve Austin – LB Hillingdon
Ben Jakes – Mott MacDonald
Bruno Barbosa – Spelthorne BC
Cllr Robert Evans –Surrey CC (Stanwell and Stanwell Moor)
Action: Provide more detail on Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) parking proposal.
Owner(s): HAL (TW)
Update: Proposals being developed, timescales TBC
Action: Conduct survey of private hire vehicle drivers not using the
Authorised Vehicle Area (AVA).
Owner(s): HAL (SK/SJP)
Update: In progress
Action: HAL to work with local authorities to agree signage and locations.
Owner(s): HAL (SK/SJP)
Update: No update
Action: HAL to share HGV issue heatmap when available.
Owner(s): HAL (SJP)
Update: New action
Action: HAL to develop local community issue reporting tool.
Update: New action
Action: HAL to support Slough BC freight industry engagement.
Update: New action
Tim Leech (TL) welcomed all to the 3rd HATF Parking SIG.
2. Actions from the previous meeting
Action 1: HAL to provide more detail on Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) parking proposal
- Action is ongoing, proposals are currently being developed
- Sara Fisher (SF) is happy to share parking standards associated with HGVs
Action 2: Conduct survey of private hire vehicle drivers not using the Authorised Vehicle
- Sarah Jane Pickthorne (SJP) – Survey needs to take place
Action 3: Local authorities to consider extent to which they want to introduce Controlled Parking Zones (CPZs) /Public Space Protection Orders (PSPO)
- Local Authorities provided updates under agenda item 4
Action 4: HAL to work with local authorities to agree signage and loations.
- No update, remains on the action plan.
Action 5: HAL to share digital version of AVA leaflet.
- Action complete. HAL will share updated versions when produced.
3. Local Community Update
Roger Green (RG) provided an update from the local community:
- RG visited various communities around Heathrow recently & met with LCF representatives and residents.
- Private hire and parking issues are an ongoing.
James Holmes (JH) provided further comment:
- annual review of LCF priorities will be taking place in February.
- Parking item will continue to be on agenda for 2024.
Wendy Matthews (WM) – stated parking remains and issue. When is HGV Heatmap being produced? SJP: we are working with cargo team to produce this heatmap and should be made available in March.
Puja Bedi (PB):
- Agree with WM and RG points and added these issues are getting worse, we should be taking serious action now.
- AVA should be free to ensure more PHV drivers use it
TL: AVA cannot be free, due to competition law with Taxi Feeder Park (TFP), however
HAL is looking at introducing a pricing trial, which should making AVA pricing more
attractive and could help tackle this
RG: there needs to be immediate action, and this should be enforcement, as it could be
the most impactful method to deal with impacts.
Robert Evans (RE): issue of parking in Stanwell Moor is ongoing, by minicabs and
passengers long term parking on local streets.
Matthew Furniss (MF): working together to provide enforcement in Stanwell Moor.
Anthony Smith (AS): do HAL colleagues think it is clear enough for residents where theyneed to report their concerns? What should residents do?
TL: HAL are prioritising a development of a central reporting portal on the Heathrow website, so we can monitor patterns and behaviour and identify hotspots.
4. Local Authority Updates
PB provided an update for Slough BC:
- CPZs are being rolled out across Slough BC, with Poyle and Colnbrook included.
This includes double yellow lines and permit bays which may negatively impact
- Colnbrook Village Hall car park remains an issue and plans to bring in a time
limit are being developed.
- Bus gate is progressing and will deter HGV drivers. Requested HAL assistance
with business and community engagement. JH: happy to help engage with
freight companies, will follow up with Savio.
Bruno Barbosa (BB) provided an update for Spelthorne BC:
- Spelthorne BC is consulting on a PSPO which covers a range of issues including private hire. TL: HAL strongly supports this approach and will respond to the consultation.
Steve Austin (SA) provided an update for LB Hillingdon:
- Challenge with enforcing CPZs is that drivers just move on when they see an enforcement officer. CCTV enforcement would prevent this behaviour.
TW: we are aware of issues with enforcement and lobbying the government about CCTV
enforcement is included in the Action Plan.
SF: BPA actively campaigning to bring back CCTV / ANPR enforcement – happy to bring
together local authorises to discuss this, and develop evidence base. AS: is this a uniquely
Heathrow problem? SF: no, there are other airport and non-airport cases.
JH highlighted an LB Hillingdon cabinet report which including reducing observation times
at yellow lines to 3 minutes – would be good to get an update at next meeting.
Wendy Matthews (WM) provided an update covering Buckinghamshire County:
- Implemented a CPZ in Richings Park 18 months agomand has put a stop to
Heathrow employee parking and holiday parking. CPZ only operates during day,
and there are HGV issues at night. We need a forum with HGV operators to
understand what is going on.
- Meet and greet is another issue. Have the Aviation Police taken any action? Mike
Smooker (MS): contacted South Bucks, and waiting a response from them
5. British Parking Association (BPA) Update
SF: Meet and Greet approved parking operator scheme aims to drive out rogue
operators, the standard is currently being trialled and will be rolled out. A national
comms campaign is planned to increase awareness.
MS: very supportive. The importance of advertising of the scheme will be key, as this is
how members of the public will find out about this.
SF: we can work with airlines to put this in airline magazines, looking into social media,
travel influencers to spread word etc. awareness campaign will start before summer,
when peak travel season is occurring.
6. Police Update
MS provided a Police update:.
- In a much better place for meet and greet compared to last year. This time last
year we had c.100 crimes reported. So far this year there are 5 cars reported
7. Heathrow Update
TW provided an update on HAL progress:
- Met with individual local authorities to understand appetite for CPZs, PSPOs and
- Testing a multi storey car park discount trial for AVA users to encourage greater use. Aiming to start trial in Q1
- Improved facilities at AVA have been introduced, this is based on feedback from
private hire drivers.
TW provided an update on the action plan which HAL is co-ordinating (more
information provided in slides):
- Communication and awareness – passenger communications campaign
including national press coverage and leafleting to PHV drivers to increase
awareness of AVA.
- Infrastructure – including AVA improvements and HGV waiting area.
- Regulation and enforcement – introducing of PSPOs / CPZs where appropriate,
develop a parking code of practice, increase enforcement.
8. Next Steps
HAL will continue to co-ordinate the progression of action plan interventions.
Next meeting: 9th April 2024, 09:00-11:00